Prof. Dr. Harald Clahsen
Speciality: Multilingualism in the Individual: A Psycholinguistic Perspective (abstract)
University: University Potsdam, Potsdam Research Insitute for Multilingualism
Further reading of his publications can be found here.
Harald Clahsen on the subject “Multilingualism in the Individual: A Psycholinguistic Perspective”
- From a global perspective, multilingualism is the norm; monolingualism is an exception.
- From birth, children have a set of genetically given options, and they are not predetermined to a specific language.
- Universal language options are lost after the acquisition of a particular language.
- Modularity of language: effects of age of acquisition are subtle and selective.
- Multilingualism is an asset in an individual’s life, so if possible, one should take advantage of sensitive periods of language development.
- Multilingual education promotes multilingualism and does not necessarily lead to higher intelligence.
You can find the videos of all talks during the MuDiLe 2017 HERE.
Here you can get access to his PowerPoint slides.
If you like to hear the full talk in the car or along the way, we also provide the full talk as an audio file:
Interview of Harald Clahsen
This interview of Harald Clahsen was taken during the MUDILE 2017. He talks about his personal experiences with multilingualism, specially about multilingualism in the individual, and about his research projects which are planned for future work.
If you would like to get further information about Harald Clahsen, his responsibilities at the University Potsdam, areas of interest or research groups/centres, please visit the following website: